Run Moto Run
ApriliaBenelliBimotaBMWBSADucatiFB MondialHusqvarnaKTMMoto GuzziMV AgustaNortonTriumph
United Kingdom · Marque directory

Francis-Barnett

Share
Francis-Barnett Logo
Marque insigniaUnited Kingdom

Walk down what was once Lower Ford Street in Coventry and there's little to mark the spot where a bolted-together motorcycle frame briefly counted as a clever idea. But it was clever enough, and cheap enough to make, that a small firm trading on it managed to survive two world wars, a factory bombing, and three changes of corporate parent before finally being switched off in 1966 — only to be switched back on, decades later, by people who never forgot the name.

Founding

Francis-Barnett was set up in 1919 by Gordon Inglesby Francis and Arthur Barnett, in Coventry, at works on Lower Ford Street. The pairing was as much family as business: Gordon Francis was the son of Graham Francis, who had co-founded Lea-Francis, and Arthur Barnett — already building Invicta motorcycles — became his father-in-law through the marriage that connected the two men. The earliest Francis-Barnett machines were, frankly, Invictas in new clothes, which is a common enough origin story for British marques of the period but worth saying plainly rather than dressing up. The company later moved into the former Excelsior works in Coventry once Excelsior relocated to Birmingham, giving Francis-Barnett a proper home of its own.

The Early Machines

The first Francis-Barnett of real substance used a 292cc JAP engine, running through a two-speed gearbox driven by chain inside an aluminium case, with belt final drive, foot-boards fitted with toe guards, and sprung forks — a reasonably specified machine for the early 1920s. By 1921 a second model appeared using the 269cc Villiers engine, beginning a relationship with the Wolverhampton engine maker that would define the marque for the next four decades.

What set Francis-Barnett apart mechanically wasn't the engines, which it bought in like most small British manufacturers of the era, but the frame. The company built a triangulated frame out of straight tubes that could be bolted together with basic tools rather than brazed or welded, cutting both cost and the skilled labor needed to produce it. It was a genuinely practical piece of thinking for a firm trying to build affordable motorcycles at scale, and it gave Francis-Barnett its advertising line — "Built Like A Bridge" — which stuck to the brand for the rest of its life.

Through the 1920s the range grew. In 1927 the company introduced the Pullman, fitted with a 344cc two-stroke vertical twin Villiers engine, a relatively ambitious layout for a firm mostly known for simple singles. For much of the following decade the catalog filled out with two-strokes carrying bird and bird-adjacent names — Merlin, Kestrel, Lapwing, Plover — a naming convention that would eventually become one of the marque's small, endearing signatures.

The company introduced its 250cc Cruiser model in 1932, generally credited as one of the first motorcycles to fit a fairing around the engine to shield the rider from oil and road dirt, an early and sensible answer to a problem every rider of the period understood. In 1935 came the Stag, powered by a 247cc overhead-valve Blackburne engine, a step up in performance from the two-stroke bread-and-butter models.

Arthur Barnett died in the mid-1930s — sources differ on whether it was 1936 or 1937 — and his son Eric took over running the firm. By 1938 Francis-Barnett had introduced the small 98cc Powerbike alongside a 125cc Snipe, the latter arriving not long before the outbreak of the Second World War made such lightweight, economical machines useful for military purposes as well as civilian ones.

The war very nearly ended Francis-Barnett outright. During the air raids on Coventry in 1940, the Lower Ford Street factory was destroyed completely. The company kept going through contract work in an alternative factory, and once the war ended, production resumed at Lower Ford Street in 1945 with the 98cc Powerbike, followed shortly by the 125cc Merlin — the same bird-name lineage picking up almost exactly where it had left off.

The Golden Era

The postwar years were, in a modest and unglamorous way, Francis-Barnett's best. The Merlin was followed by the Plover, Falcon, and Kestrel, and these lightweight two-strokes sold well through the 1950s as cheap, practical transport for riders who wanted something simple and reliable rather than fast. Most were finished in a distinctive dark green the company called Arden Green, and that color, along with the bird names, is what most people picture when they picture a Francis-Barnett today.

Villiers engines remained the backbone of the range, but the relationship between AMC — which had taken control of Francis-Barnett after the war — and Villiers of Wolverhampton was an uneasy one. AMC came to regard Villiers as difficult to deal with as a supplier, and in response commissioned the Italian designer Vincenzo Piatti to develop a new range of engines that AMC could build in-house. These Piatti-designed units began appearing in Francis-Barnett motorcycles from around 1959. It didn't work out. The Piatti engines proved unreliable in service, and through the early 1960s AMC quietly reverted a number of Francis-Barnett models back to Villiers power, a rare case of a manufacturer trying to cut out a difficult supplier and finding the alternative worse.

The Falcon 87, fitted with a 199cc single-cylinder AMC two-stroke, ran in production until 1966, by which point the firm had been producing bird-named lightweights — Falcon, Hawk, Plover, Snipe among them — for the better part of two decades.

Racing

Francis-Barnett was never a factory racing operation in the way some of its contemporaries were, but it built a genuine competition record in trials and endurance events through the 1920s and into the 1950s. The Supersport 172cc model picked up gold and silver medals at the Scottish Six Days Trial in 1924. The rider most associated with the marque's competitive record is Tommy Meeten, whose relationship with Francis-Barnett began that same year when he rode a Blackburne-engined machine to sixth place in the Ultra-Lightweight TT on the Isle of Man.

Meeten went on to set an endurance record in 1927 aboard a 172cc Brooklands Track Special fitted with a long-range fuel tank, running for six hours at an average of 50 miles per hour — a serious feat of sustained speed for a small two-stroke on the banked Brooklands circuit. In a 200-mile race for two-stroke machines up to 175cc, also at Brooklands, Meeten took first place with an average of 54.36 mph.

Francis-Barnett's competition reputation resurfaced in the mid-1950s, when the marque performed well in domestic and international trials, taking Manufacturers Awards in the International Six Days Trial in both the 175cc and 197cc classes — a fitting late showing for a company whose bread and butter had always been lightweight, dependable machines rather than outright speed.

Ownership and Survival

The independent chapter of Francis-Barnett's history ended in 1947, when Associated Motor Cycles took over the firm. AMC ran Francis-Barnett as a distinct marque for a decade before merging it with James, another Birmingham-based lightweight manufacturer under AMC's ownership, in 1957. Production limped along under this combined arrangement until 1962, when Francis-Barnett manufacturing was physically moved into the James factory in Birmingham, effectively ending Francis-Barnett's standing as a maker with its own works.

The end came in 1966, when Manganese Bronze Holdings took control of AMC and shut down production of both Francis-Barnett and James outright. It was an unceremonious close for a marque that had survived a world war and a bombed-out factory, brought down in the end by corporate restructuring rather than any failure of the motorcycles themselves.

The name then sat dormant for decades. It resurfaced commercially in the 2010s, when the rights to Francis-Barnett were acquired and a new company launched offering a small range of machines — including bikes carrying on the Merlin and Kestrel names — built around Chinese-manufactured components. The exact circumstances and timing of that acquisition vary by source, but the revival itself is well documented and welcomed by the old owners' club community, even if the new machines bear little engineering relation to the originals.

The Marque Today

A revived company, Francis Barnett Coventry, formed in 2015 and operates out of Kenilworth, a few miles from the marque's original Coventry home. Its current lineup leans heavily toward electric bicycles and small-capacity Chinese-built motorcycles, sold under names that deliberately echo the old range — Falcon, Merlin, Kestrel — alongside newer products like the Batribike and an e-dirt bike. It is a modest operation by any measure, and one that has drifted, sensibly, toward the e-bike market rather than trying to compete as a motorcycle manufacturer in any serious sense.

None of that touches what collectors actually care about, which is the run of machines built between the 1920s and 1966. Original Francis-Barnetts from that period — the bolted "Built Like A Bridge" frames, the Arden Green two-strokes, the bird-named lightweights that carried thousands of riders through the lean postwar years — remain sought after among collectors of British lightweights precisely because they were never showy machines. They were built to be affordable, dependable, and easy to fix, and enough of them survive in good order that the marque, still known to plenty of owners by the old nickname "Fanny B," continues to have a following well out of proportion to how loudly it was ever marketed.

Official siteBack to the directory
More from United Kingdom
Share this dossier